Tuesday, November 6, 2007

The Sun Fired My Dermis!!




And other tales from my weekend. . . .

The title of today's blog is a direct quote from a violin player I met this weekend. On Saturday, I accompanied my roommate Jessica to a show at the Irish pub in Granada. Jessica is a musician, she plays the cello and is trying to get into the conservatory here. Anyway, she met this English singer/songwriter/guitarist at a yoga class, they started talking. He is thinking of adding cello to his music, so they have been practicing together. He was playing a show at Hannigan & Sons, and I went. I really liked the music, kind of like one of my favorite bands back home, Nickel Creek. It was folk type music. The lyrics were great too.

After the show, which ended at 2am, oh how I longed for my bed, we went with the singer, Darren and his violin player to get some tea at a tea house. Darren is from England but has lived in Spain for about ten years, so he speaks Spanish. Darren asked his violin player (can't remember his name) to talk in English since I don't speak a word of Spanish. He obliged, although his English was not the best, but better than my Spanish. It is fun for me to listen to people translate Spanish into English. Sometimes they make up words or use the literal translation, which does not always work, although I usually get the point. Anyway, the violin player was trying to explain, I think, that he got a sun-burn. But, instead he said that the sun fired his dermis. Really. It was amusing, and luckily I was not the only one laughing. We corrected him, but I liked it. I'm sure if I try to translate what I think in English into Spanish, it will be equally as amusing.

Also at the show, the percussion player smoked a joint while playing. Yes, in a bar you can smoke, and apparently you can smoke marijuana. Ugh, how I long for CB Hennegans in Los Gatos or Katie Blooms in Campbell or Streets of London in Sac-town where I can get one of twenty different beers and not worry about smelling like smoke at the end of the night.

Here is the crazy percussionist smoking is joing while playing:


This is me and Jessica in the bus on the way to the concert. Her hands are orange because she died Andrea's hair (the hair of Andrea) with henna earlier in the day. Never heard of that, but its popular here.


No comments: