Saturday, November 3, 2007

A few comforts from home

Last night, I made quesadillas and black beans. For some reason, my roomates loved them. They had never seen black beans. They certainly had never eaten quesadillas. They were good, I was sorry I had to share. Oh well.

Today, while shopping, I am ashamed to say that I stopped and got french fries at Burger King. The number one reason I wanted to go into Burger King was because I suspected they had soda from a fountain. They did!! This made me oh so happy. In my opinion, soda tastes best from a fountain. Even if it was "Coca-Cola Light" and not "Diet Coke", it was good. The fries were OK, almost as good as home.

Then, just a few minutes later, I passed a place that sells Ben & Jerrys, and, they had my favorite, Phish Food. So, of course, I got some. Its truly amazing how something as simple as soda from a fountain or chocolate ice cream with chocolate fish can make me so happy.

I still wish I had someone to share these moments with. The happy moments are a bit subdued without someone who understands that Diet Coke from a fountain kicks butt or that Phish Food ice cream makes me dance with glee. I think if John or anybody I know well was here with me, I would have done a little dance when I discovered the Phish Food Ice Cream, but alone, I think that would just make me look crazy.

3 comments:

John Dip said...

Laura, we take too much for granted here don't we. Phish food is very good, I didn't taste it til you made me.

Katie H said...

I have to agree, diet coke from a fountain is the best!!

amy said...

my dearest laura,

i can wholly appreciate your travel aloneless (i think "aloneless", while an entirely imaginary word, takes the edge off of "loneliness", a veritable word). i felt very similarly during my two trips to spain - the first as an undergrad in a summer program with no one i knew and few people whose company i appreciated and the second time visiting spanish friends i had met during my first visit. while these people are amazing friends and very excellent traveling companions, i longed for jorge. it helps when traveling far from home to have someone familiar, someone who knows you well and can appreciate your excitement at seeing fountain soda (i am with you 100% on your assessment there).

i am so happy to see you truly living this experience. your pictures and stories create a really interesting and exciting adventure that i'm sure you will remember fondly forever, despite the aloneness that you may feel from time to time while there.

miles de besos,
amy

p.s. have i been tagged? or is there another amy in your blogosphere life?