Friday, November 2, 2007

A holiday in Spain



Yesterday, November 1st, was a holiday here in Spain. Holidays are like Sundays, which are eerie and deserted here in Spain. On a Sunday, in say, San Francisco or Los Angeles, or even *gasp* Sacramento, people are out. People go to malls and parks and wineries and grocery stores, we run errands, get our cars washed, go to movies, eat at our favorite restaurants, hit up farmer's markets, etc. Sundays are my favorite day (esp. in the fall when football is on!).

Sundays in Spain are a whole different story. Nothing is open on Sundays. No clothing shops, no grocery stores, no pharmacies, limited restaurants and cafes are even open. On Sundays, the streets and buses are empty, even parks are empty. The only place I can find open stuff and peopls on Sundays is in the city center, where all the tourists hang out. Yesterday felt like a Sunday, but it was Thursday, and a holiday. I have yet to find out where all the locals go on Sundays. Maybe they are just in their homes cooking and eating?

I celebrated the holiday by sleeping in. (I've been getting on the first bus at 7am to come talk to my husband each morning.) Then, I took an empty bus the city center and walked around a bit. I found some great stuff to buy and bring home. But I'll let you all be surprised. I found an open cafe and had not one, but two cups of coffee and a tostada. I read a book. I window shopped in anticipation of actual shopping that I hope to do today and tomorrow (before the shops are closed again on Sunday). I ended the afternoon with a little work.

Today, most people have extended their holiday, and the office is empty again, but at least shops are open! I'll keep you posted on my clothing and shoe purchases. .

1 comment:

Unknown said...

sundays in madrid are a little livelier than what i've seen in andalucia. the parque del retiro, for instance, is always hopping in the afternoon. here also, restaurants (at least some of them) are open for lunch, which is a big family affair.