Saturday, November 3, 2007

Shopping and fashion in Granada.

I attempted to go shopping last night, and again this morning. I am empty handed. But, I have some observations on shopping and the fashions that are "in" right now in Spain.

  • Shopping here is INSANE! Granted, I picked Friday night and Saturday to go shopping, two of the busiest times. This morning was not bad. But, last night, wow. I'm happy shopping in the US is not the same. First, the stores are smaller with less space and more stuff. Second, if somebody looks at a sweater or a shirt that was folded nicely on a table, they don't bother to attempt to refold it. There were tables just filled with piles of sweaters/shirts. Also, if somebody took a jacket or sweater off a hanger to try it on and did not like it, they threw it on the table or just back on the rack, without re-hanging it. This is absurd to me. You took it off the hanger, put it back on! You un-folded the sweater, attempt to re-fold it! Ridiculous. So, last night, I got discouraged, and started getting hungry (just ask John, this is NOT a good combo for Laura) I went home empty-handed. The first hour or so this morning was much better, and I tried a few things on, but did not buy anything. Oh well.
  • Jackets are hot right now. I will probably purchase a coat or two before I come home. They are nice, and pretty cheap.
  • Sweaters are everywhere, especially long sweaters and sweater dresses. I kind of like them.
  • Boots are popular, all types of boots. Mostly they are worn on the outside of the shoe, many go up to the knee. Also, lots of rain boots, I'll try to buy some, but shoe shopping is even more foreign than clothes shopping. Here's why: stores have huge window displays. So, I see shoes in the window displays that I think are cute. Problem is, those shoes are only displayed in window. Different shoes are displayed inside. I have not figured out how I will communicate which shoes I like and would like to try on. hmmm.....
  • Everyone wears tights. Well, all the women at least. So, the short shorts and bermuda length shorts and mini-skirts that they wore all summer, they continue to wear, with stripped or solid colored tights. I kinda like it. Maybe its also popular back home?
  • Color is everywhere. I was told I should plan to wear lots of black and neutral colors. This is a safe bet, but is no longer the fashion here. The stores have bright colors, on the streets there are bright colors. The crazy thing is people don't just wear one brightly colored item. Lets say I wanted to wear red today. In Spain, i would wear red shoes, red belt, wear red jacket and carry my red purse. Red over-load. Back home, I think just one, maybe two of the red items would be worn at the same time.
  • Girls wear baggy pants and their underwear shows. Not thongs, though, underwear. Odd.
  • I have seen more than a handful of "genie" pants on girls. These genie pants remind me a bit of hammer pants, but capri length instead of long. The genie pants have a crotch that goes past the knee, and they come in many fabrics, including denim. Yes, denim genie pants, hot!

No comments: