Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Diamonds are a girls best friend. ? . . ?

perhaps only in the United States?

There was a time a few years ago when I really wanted to be engaged that I looked at every woman's left hand for a glimpse at a diamond. In the states, a diamond means engagement. If I saw another ring, I knew she was already married. I could not gauge the quality of the diamond, but still a diamond to me signified security and love. For a while, I wanted one and wanted on bad. Eventually, Johnny got me one, a beautiful diamond. A cut not many people have and a unique band. Not big, not small, perfect for me, perfect for John, perfect for us. I wear my diamond with pride, but its not uncommon in the states to see lots of diamonds every day. Not just on fingers, but in ears and around necks.

I have not seen any diamonds here, except on my own hand. It is very odd to me. First, married people wear their rings on their right hand. People do get engaged here, and a ring is involved, sometimes (so I've been told) but it is never a diamond ring. The engagement ring goes on the left hand, and the wedding ring on the right. Do you thing the diamond (well diamonds really b/c my wedding band has sparkley little diamonds too!) labels me as American? Do people even notice it? When I stand in the bus, my left hand grasped around a pole, do people see it? Its a weird feeling. I have not even seen diamond earrings or necklaces.

So many cultural difference. . . so little time. This one I just had to write about because its been on my mind for a few days. I've been hunting for diamonds!

No comments: